The purpose of the meeting was to discuss the 2017 goal from page 202 of Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures by Mary Baker Eddy, along with selected focus points including the seven synonyms of God, government, employment and supply, health, relationships. and church and theology:
“The scientific unity which exists between God and man must be wrought out in life practice, and God’s will must be universally done.”
Those present discussed these ideas:
“The scientific unity that exists between God and man.. . “
- See My. Pages 164-165 beginning with “A great sanity. . . “ and Un p. 54
- The use of the present tense “exists” means that unity is here NOW—not that it will exist eventually.
- Unity has always existed and will always exist. It is not something we create.
- This is “scientific” unity, so it must be provable.
- In our present political climate, we are tempted to think the scientific unity is between God and ME or one individual, but it is between God and MAN. Feeling self righteous and/ or self justified is not the solution.
- We need to realize it is our thought that needs to be uplifted, not someone else’s.
“. . . must be wrought out in life practice. . .”
Must = we have no choice in the matter; it is NOT an option; NOT maybe; this is strongly affirmative, definitive .
Wrought =1. worked into shape 2. with metals—beaten or shaped by hammering
- The unity has to be lived, put into practice, minute by minute, daily, hourly.
- If something comes to our thought to be healed or corrected, we should attend to it right away.
- We should keep our thoughts high.
- When we watch the news, we know what needs to be treated. We should then treat it and move on. We agreed with a recent CS Monitor letter that stated it has a bias for PROGRESS.
- This could bring a chemicalization to our thought, which we do not need to be afraid of. We can see the daily news as positive events stirring us to see what is true about God’s creation.
- Someone likened the above thoughts to when Rudy Guiliani was mayor in NYC and lived by the “broken window rule” which is to fix the broken windows or you are accepting that broken windows are okay. And as a consequence, there will probably be more broken windows. The same with our “broken” thoughts that need to be corrected.
- We are learning to see through the material claim of what is being presented to us. Our challenge is to make this claim nothing. Zero is zero. There is not a big zero and a little zero.
- God needs us to be his effect. There can be no separation, no gap, between God as cause and man as his effect. See p. 338 of SH where Adam is called “a dam” or an obstruction, error. Nothing can separate us from God .
- We must see the good in all fellow men.
- One member shared how this goal helped when traveling during a terror event.
- One member shared how this thought, along with the thought “behold the Lamb of God,” healed the feeling of a gender gap when she was teaching an all men’s class.
“. . . and God’s will must be universally done.”
- There is that word, “must,” again—expressing necessity.
- If this unity is true in an individual, it is also true in our environment and vice versa—in the universe.
- The “scientific unity, ” or oneness, IS “God’s will.”
- God’s will must be done everywhere, universally, not only in one hemisphere or for one situation.